Tuesday 30 August 2011

Hostel Kitchen Delite

I'm currently staying in a hostel in Bangalore. Ideally we are not allowed to cook in our hostel, but we have an electric heater where we can boil milk/water & cook some easy-to-cook dishes. I thought of trying out a sabzi from whatever was available! All I had was some onions, potatoes & tomatoes....thought of chopping them & tossing in oil, nothing more can be done on an electric coil after all! So poured the oil in my pan & added my chopped veggies. I was all set for a potato stir fry......but alas the current went off & so did my hopes of cooking up a dish for myself! I thought of giving a shot at asking the mess cooks to let me use the gas coz you never know when the current would be back. After a bit of persuading they agreed!
So there I was finally cooking on gas as I use to at home! Besides my pan was milk bubbling away & on the shelf was the red hot chilli powder & chat masala.........thought of using all these & see the outcome! So in went the chilly & the chat with a whole glass of milk......potatoes cooking away till there was just enough gravy left sticking the potatoes with oil oozing out of the sautéed onions & tomatoes!
It tasted yummy........I did not think that potatoes would go so well with milk & that milk in a spicy gravy would add texture & thicken it to perfection! I had it with bread but i think it'll taste good with just about anything or even plain! Enjoyed the creamy gravy, almost landed up licking the vessel!!

Recipe:
Ingredients:
potatoes - 2 medium
onion - 1 large
tomatoes - 2 small
ginger-garlic paste - 2 tbsp
oil - 3 tbsp
chilli powder - 2 tsp
chat masala - 1 tsp
milk - 250 ml
sugar - 1 tsp
salt to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a pan, fry ginger-garlic paste.  Add onions & fry them. Add potatoes & tomatoes, fry for 2/3mins. Add sugar, salt & milk. Cook till potatoes are cooked. Add water if needed. When potatoes are cooked, dry the remaining moisture till oil starts leaving the sides of the vessel. There should be just enough gravy to coat the potatoes. Now simply enjoy the creamilicious dish with bread or just about anything, even plain!



No comments:

Post a Comment